Friday, June 22, 2012

Peplums - Love it or Hate it?

Peplums are a Love it for me!

For those who have no idea as to what a peplum is... "A short overskirt or ruffle attached at the waistline of a jacket, blouse, skirt, or dress" (thefreedictionary.com).

When it comes to style I am very girly and I feel that peplums fit that category. This trend looks great with floral pants, bright colored shorts, and dresses. I am a fan of printed and solid color peplums and actually own a few of my own. See the end of this post for pictures of my own peplum looks.

Another reason that I love about the peplum look is that it has come back over and over and proven to be a trend that will always reappear in a new way. Peplums were also popular in the 40's and 80's. In my opinion I feel that the 40s did the trend right while the 80s took peplum to a level it never should have gone. Nonetheless now the peplum is back and looking better than ever. Here are a few photos of my favorite peplum looks.

Enjoy!

{yes, please!}
lovelybride.com

{black peplum is great for neutralizing a fun pair of floral pants - great accessories complete the look}
thistimetomorrow-krystal.blogspot.com

{leather peplum with a floral skirt is perfect to edge up a very feminine look}
cupcakesandcashmere.com

{structured peplum with a full skirt and gingham printed heels}
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com

{tulle peplum with pastel pants - a great springtime and summer look}
laurenconrad.com

{peplum jacket and gloves - casual cute}
dailycupofcouture.blogspot.com

{LBD + peplum = perfection}
us.asos.com

Since I have started my blog I have gotten requests for me to include more pictures of myself in the fashions and trends I write about. So... Here are a few of my own peplum looks (pictures taken by my Mother -Joy Lodeen). I like to style my peplums with stripes, florals, and bright colors. Each picture will have a caption of where I bought each piece and I will include how I put the outfits together.


{Striped Peplum with colored denim is one of my favorite go-to outfits}

striped peplum top (Nordstrom), leather jacket (Kaitlyn Clothing), citizens of humanity jeans (Nordstrom), sunglasses (Forever 21), Necklace watch and ring (Nordstrom), shoes (Target)
{this can also look great with heels and a leopard clutch}
{floral peplum with polka dot shorts and denim jacket}

peplum top (Target), shorts (Target), denim jacket (Urban Outfitters), belt, earings, and watch (Nordstrom), and shoes
(Steve Madden)
{I loved this print on print look and it can also be worn even more casual with some converse or sandals}
{a bright peplum top with striped shorts is a great casual daytime outfit}

coral peplum top (Forever 21), shorts, belt, watch, bag, and shoes (Nordstrom), and lastly the denim jacket
(Urban Outfitters)
{to dress this up you can wear heels and switch the denim jacket to a black lether jacket or fitted blazer}
{a peplum dress is always fun for a night out. Add a leather jacket and fun heels or ankle boots to edge it up}

peplum dress and jacket (Kaitlyn Clothing), bag, bracelet, ring, and shoes (Nordstrom)
{a closer look at my shoes, ring, clutch, and nails}
{A dressier way of wearing this dress, I wore this exact outfit to a nighttime wedding}

peplum dress (Kaitlyn Clothing), the rest of the outfit is all from (Nordstrom)
{a bright peplum with a black skirt and color blocked heels is perfect for a night out of drinks and dancing}

coral peplum top (Forever 21), skirt, bracelets, and bag (Nordstrom), shoes (Zara)
{a closer look at the peplum and its accessories}

A few more peplum looks that I can't get enough of...


{Michelle Williams in one of my favorite looks from the Academy Awards}
instyle.com
{polka dot peplum with white pants are perfect for summer}
thistimetomorrow-krystal.blogspot.com
{even the duchess Kathrine wears a peplum - she can do no wrong, she always looks flawless}
fofissima.com.br

Let me know your thoughts about peplums. Leave a comment below if you would like : )

No comments:

Post a Comment