Thursday, August 2, 2012

Trend Fixation - PATTERN MIXING!!!


Lately, I can't help but fall in love with all the fun patterns that are in style right now. From stripes, polka dots, florals, leopard, gingham, plaid, and tweed the options are endless. However, there is an art to mixing patterns and it can go very wrong, very quickly. So... I thought I would share some of my own tips to pattern mixing. I also included some pictures of pattern mixing that I think are fabulous. And of course I will include some of my own pattern mixing looks that I love to wear.
Some my tips for pattern mixing:
  • watch proportions! Don't mix two large prints together, use one small and then a larger print
  • stripes are an easy pattern to mix with almost any other print (leopard, floral, plaid, etc.)
  • including one solid piece can help two prints mix together better by toning them down
  • using accessories to pattern mix by playing off the colors in your garment prints
  • Just remember: the larger print will be the focal point of the outfit, so wear the bigger pattern on whatever area of your body you want to highlight (tip from www.whowhatwear.com)!
For more pattern mixing advice see this article from whowhatwear.com
http://web001.whowhatwear.com/website/ask-a-stylist/nicole-chavez-i-know/

Enjoy! and Happy PATTERN MIXING!!!

{a feminine floral and stripes look}
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com

{one of my favorite looks - makes the floral top edgy with the larger stripes}
lateafternoonblog.com

{leopard on floral works because of the leather jacket breaking up the prints}
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com

{the busier graphic print plays off of the more subdued stripes}
cupcakesandcashmere.com

{stripes on stripes with a touch of leopard}
pennypincherfashion.com

{floral on floral can also be done by opposing the colors used in the different prints}
farm8.staticflickr.com

{this geometric print pops on the stripe top and works because of the color pallet}
sincerelyjules.com

{love this casual plaid and stripe look}
arrogantlyyspiffyy.tumblr.com


{this works bc one of the prints is softer than the other with a solid breaking them up}
saboskirt.com

{the chevron stripes work with the multi-colored fringe skirt bc of the solid grey sweater}
becauseimaddicted.net

{even nails can be pattern mixed}
f*ckyeahnailart.tumblr.com

{the leopard skirt pairs back nicely to the larger polka dot top}
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com

{I am always a sucker for floral and polka dots with a pop of color}
bessfriday.com

{pairing a busier print underneath a larger print and solid jacket is a fun floral on floral print mix}
1.bp.blogspot.com

{the leopard top adds a surprise pop to the striped sweater}
lookbook.nu

{the circular pattern in the dress makes these polka dot socks a perfect pattern mix}
fashionsalade.com

 
The following photos are my own pattern mixing looks. Since I just painted my dress form, I thought it would be a perfect time to showcase some outfits on it. Let me know your thoughts. I love to get feedback from my readers.

{a graphic flower paired with diagonal stripes and a bow belt}

{floral print bottoms, striped top, and leather jacket make a girly look edgy}

{floral and gingham for a more casual look}

{my own version of floral and leopard}
{I thought the skulls & snake print would be a fun print mix}

No comments:

Post a Comment